[Newspoetry] U.S. poet laureate invokes troubling metaphor

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 15:05:35 CDT 2001

I propose the gender-specific term that I think applies in this case
bets.

"America was circumcised."

Our injury is in large part self-inflicted because of our blind
obedience to a our cultural tradition, in this case bombing other
people, etc, and not expecting them to be able to react to it.

It also could be seen as a fundamental attack on our (pardon the term,
but it fits in the context) manhood. Although it seems horrible right
now, it pales in comparison to what we have done to many other people.
Ouch! it sure hurts! but we will get over it, in spite of the horrendous
pain it will cause to many.

We have to be careful that we don't turn around and do this or worse to
the first target we can lash out at in anger, despite the fact that, if
we could just break free from our cultural tradition, expansive
capitalism and imperialism in this case, we could probably free
ourselves of most of this pain in the future.

Mike Lehman