[Newspoetry] Abraham Preparing to Sacrifice His Son

david moses fruchter davidmosesfruchter at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:03:14 CDT 2001

i have been writing a series of pieces lately inspired by the paintings of
marc chagall.  i did not intend the most recent to be a response to the events
of tuesday (and the systems which gave rise to them and which they
perpetuate); yet it clearly is a response.  i suppose anything i would have
written would have been.  i encourage you to look up the painting by marc
chagall which lends its title and subject to the poem.

Abraham Preparing to Sacrifice His Son

Disbelief is what I felt, before and after
I was freed from that murderous spell.
"Stop!"?  How could I stop -- the wood was cut
and piled, my son tied, splayed, ready to take
my knife into his body, and give his blood to the Lord
Whose will was obeyed without question.

So how could an obvious angel of mercy
So beautiful, so clean and pure
Contradict the will of the One True God?
Such I thought, before I heard its voice
A thousand bells ringing as it spoke
A magic phrase which freed my mind and heart.

Again I was stunned beyond belief
My son, my son, how could I have even thought
To end your life at some cruel god's caprice?
What had become of my love, my sense of right
And wrong?  The angel begged forgiveness
On behalf of its Lord, and mine.

"He gets like this sometimes."

In a distant pasture there was a white bull
Who gazed at the scene in stifled fury
I saw it turn and climb into the sky.
The angel of mercy had a meeting to get to.
I untied my son, both of us weeping
And I feared for my descendants.

What would our God make them do?