[Newspoetry] 1984

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 23 11:45:55 CDT 2001

This says it all:

'WAR IS PEACE. A reckless war that will likely bring about a deadly
cycle of retaliation is being sold to us as the means to guarantee our
safety. Meanwhile, we've been instructed to accept the permanent war
as a fact of daily life. As the inevitable slaughter of innocents
unfolds overseas, we are to "live our lives and hug our children."

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. "Freedom itself is under attack," Bush said, and
he's right. Americans are about to lose many of their most cherished
liberties in a frenzy of paranoid legislation. The government proposes
to tap our phones, read our email and seize our credit card records
without court order. It seeks authority to detain and deport
immigrants without cause or trial. It proposes to use foreign agents
to spy on American citizens. To save freedom, the warmongers intend to
destroy it.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. America's "new war" against terrorism will be
fought with unprecedented secrecy, including heavy press restrictions
not seen for years, the Pentagon has advised. Meanwhile, the sorry
history of American imperialism -- collaboration with terrorists,
bloody proxy wars against civilians, forcible replacement of
democratic governments with corrupt dictatorships -- is strictly
off-limits to mainstream media. Lest it weaken our resolve, we are not
to be allowed to understand the reasons underlying the horrifying
crimes of September 11.'

editor-as-if-chief
Newspoetry daught calm