[Newspoetry] memo from the editor-as-though-chief

Joe Futrelle futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 24 14:45:12 CDT 2001

Newspoets,

Thank you, all of you, for the outpouring of poetry that has come out
of what has got to be the most disturbing news event I can remember.

Because I've been swamped with so much, I'm finding it difficult to
make scheduling decisions.  Although there are lots of poems about the
events of 9/11, I don't want to run them one after another because I
want there to be some variety.  So what's on the site isn't always
going to appear in the order it was submitted.

If you ever feel when submitting a newspoem that it really ought to be
run by a certain date, or on a certain date, please let me know and
I'll try to accomodate you.  Remember, though, that being instantly
dated is kind of one of the charming things about newspoetry, and we
can be proud that we're not yet another news site which only has
today's news on it but rather one where events from five or 17 days
ago can come back to haunt the reader in poetic guise.

But enough of my yakkin'.

editor-yet-chief
Newspoetry . kom