[Newspoetry] NEWSPOEM "Humble Sinner"

Robert Porter bwp61 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 30 09:19:41 CDT 2002

'Humble Sinner' Bush Calls the Faithful to Arms

By Newton Bigelow

Dateline Madrid --

Declaring "I am just a humble sinner," President Bush on Monday drew on his
personal experiences with alcohol abuse and controversial election results
to illustrate how faith can help turn lives around.

Bush, who found God and gave up alcohol 15 years ago on his 40th birthday,
is one of the most overtly religious presidents of recent times. He opens
cabinet meetings with a prayer and often prays in the Oval office.

Sounding at times like a preacher, Bush called for soldiers to join "the
armies of compassion" because "as Martin Luther King said, God isn't gonna
do it all by himself.  I mean, He's great and all, but let's face it, when
it comes to a faith-based strategic response,  the Old Boy just doesn't have
the same kinda resources that we can bring to bear."

Hours later, Bush joined forces with some of California's wealthiest, most
devout Republicans for the first of two "prayer meetings" expected to raise
almost $4 million for gubernatorial candidate Bill Simon.

As the glittering, yet pious, crowd arrived at a Los Angeles hotel in a
parade of freshly consecrated Ferraris, Aston Martins and Rolls Royces,
about four dozen protesters demonstrated against Bush's Middle East
policies, chanting "Long Live Palestine" and carrying signs that read
"American Blood for Bush's Oil."

While being escorted past the demonstrators by secret service agents,  the
President was heard to mutter quietly,  "Let's get these people over to the
Justice Department for some 'spiritual counseling'."

God remains in an undisclosed location and could not be reached for comment.

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=897129