[Newspoetry] happy marriages and unhappy divorces

Andrea Van Proyen pvan at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 2 00:40:55 CDT 2002

Submitted in response and outrage to Mona Charen editorial:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/monacharen/mc20020719.shtml

__________________________

In an effort to beef up Homeland Security, the Bush administration today
announced that it was closing all shelters for "supposed" abused and
abandoned women and children. This action was in response to what the
administration called the "indisputable findings" of the Institute for
American Values that "women who flee to shelters just don't have what it
takes to make a man happy."

"The family is the reason we want to make our homeland secure," said Gov.
Tom Ridge, Director of Homeland Security, "and we just can't tolerate a
bunch of whiny woman who didn't get what they expected from marriage
contributing to its decline." Ridge quoted President Bush's address on
compassionate conservatism in which he said "By encouraging family, we
practice compassion."

Ridge also cited a further study by the Institute that found a direct
correlation between how unhappy a man was in his marriage and how likely he
was to turn to terrorism. "Maybe if those Afghan women were better wives we
wouldn't be fighting this war."

Ridge denied allegations that the Institute for American Values has any
connection to the Bush government. He described it as mere coincidence that
President and Mrs. Bush keep a copy of "The Book of Marriage," by the
Institute's president David Blankenhorn, by their bedside. Ridge would not
confirm or deny that the Bushes twin daughters have read "Hooking Up,
Hanging Out, and Hoping for Mr. Right," also by Blankenhorn.

All shelters will be closed as of December 31, 2002. Stiff fines will be
imposed on any one found to be providing aid to woman and children in flight.

Thank you for your consideration.

Andrea Van Proyen
1909 Jane Ann Court
Urbana, IL 61802