[Newspoetry] a poetic scheme

david moses fruchter dmf23 at neuron.net
Tue Aug 20 13:58:22 CDT 2002

greetings, newspoets.  recently a friend asked me to come up with a
somewhat rigorous poetic form as a creative spur, and after i did it
occurred to me that y'all might be interested in it as well (though it
uses more traditional components than most of the other forms i've seen
here, such as 20-consonant.)  any suggestions on a name for the form would
also be welcome.

enjoy,

***

here's the schema:

five stanzas, each of three lines.

rhyme scheme:

abc
bcd
cde
dea
eab
abc

meter scheme:

each stanza must have one line of each of the following, in whatever
order you choose:

1.  three iambs and one spondee
2.  four iambs and one trochee
3.  five iambs, one trochee, and one spondee.

these feet can also be in any order.  as long as it swings.

also, you're allowed one hypercatalexis per stanza, if you want it.

possible subjects:

the spirit of dissent
cycles of growth, consumption, waste, decay
an emotion with no names
the color blue

ps:  you might find this site helpful:

http://www.poeticbyway.com/glossary.html