[Newspoetry] It's W-all over now (when isn't it?)

gavroche at gavroche.org gavroche at gavroche.org
Sat Dec 7 15:13:04 CST 2002

Noted News Poet Robert Frost wrote about this years ago in his newspoem:
Mending Wall

"Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
what I was walling in or walling out
and to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall
that wants it down."

Unfortunatley, the muggles who read poetry and don't understand it often come
away from Frost's poem only remembering the line of the narrator's neighbor.
The line Frost and the narrator was reacting against.  "Good fences make good
neighbors."

It's frustrating to hear a line from a poem being used to support the thesis
against which the poem was railing.  It means one of my own poems could be
used thusly in the future, and it makes me very nervous about what I write.

A wall might appear to Israel as its best solution.  Since the Palestinians
won't negotiate a land-for-peace settlement, unilaterally divide up the land
with a wall, and declare the issue settled.  Along with Frost and Emerick,
though, I'm not sure a wall is ever the best answer.