[Newspoetry] Terminal PsychoLogics for PsychoLinguists Today

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Tue Dec 10 15:28:51 CST 2002

Terminal PsychoLogics for PsychoLinguists Today

The language of insanity is spoken by the insane
yet no tongue speaks of insanity in any language

Language, which is yet to be spoken, is spoken for
language has taken positions before it was spoken.

A madman said to me, "The world makes me mad"
as if he could explain to me why he was mad now,
how he was mad now, that he was mad now,
and also madder than he had ever been before,
surely a subjective contemplative consideration
that invites quiet comparison with other times
when he was not, by his own admissions,
so nearly mad as he purports to be now.

When he said "The world makes me mad",
I wondered at the underlying character of madness;
I marvelled that he could think that I could believe
a paradoxical statement of that kind of logic;
Surely any statement like this denies itself truth,
for the liar can not truthfully be saying "I lie"
and truthsayers, as if drugged, must say "I never lie".

A little problem of language deficiency yawns open
its wide sleepy mouth to say, just here, "I am tired"
and want to swallow back these thoughts in words:
what do I say of there not being a fitting word here,
right where I want a phase to oppose neatly "I lie"?

It goes without saying, this unopposed opposition;
language already assumes that I truly speak it,
I negate it when I intend its default be otherwise:
statements are true, when said, unless otherwise said,
in which case they are not to be believed as denials,
for they deny themselves the grounds of any truths.

A madman does not speak any language of insanity.
Then, who speaks any language of any madness?

Madmen speak no mad language as none speak it:
it can only be said of another's otherwise language:
it's mad and he's mad, but he does know not it so:
no madman can say, truthfully, that he's quite mad.

And another can not calm the madman, soothingly,
by saying, "Alrighty, then, I believe you: you're mad."

Thanks for listening
Donald L Emerick