[Newspoetry] Newspoem: A Sonnet for last call

Robert Porter bwp61 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 14 01:05:08 CST 2002

Breaking with my usual habits, I thought I'd try an actual form, it
being the last round and all ...

"It fails to find the heart of news"

It fails to find the heart of news
So it should at least be poetic'ly made
Context for content is an equitable trade
Or have I left the raw, red concrete
For the sunnier, sillier side of the street?
Where design will shine, and dismay will fade
Where I can leave cold, bitter truths sleeping in the shade
While fine, fat fantasies cavort around my feet

Should pestilence, war and famine strangle vibrant joy?
If all whimsy's doomed to become sad and weary satire
Will our failure to be led by the nose lead us to destroy?
And turn the warmth of our hearts into ash-inducing fire

I won't become the beaten-down blog that they'd prefer me to be
In the face of smug and blood-soaked lies I'll spit Newspoetry!