[Newspoetry] TipToe over True Lily Pads on Wading Waters

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Mon Dec 23 14:50:17 CST 2002

Some technology stories from NYT, yesterday and today...

Many Tools of Big Brother Are Up and Running
The Pentagon's effort to detect terrorism with electronic monitoring
could rely largely on technology that is already in place.
Going Electronic, Denver Reveals Long-Term Surveillance
Hailed widely as a major tool in the war against terrorism,
police intelligence software has its pitfalls.
An Eccentric in Residence Aims for Harmony at Time
Mark Golin, the creative director at AOL who is on loan to Time,
occupies a middle earth between the antagonistic parts of his company.
Move to Open Government Electronically
In the next year, the federal government will attempt
to give the public easier online access to data and services.
. Bush Administration to Propose System for Monitoring Internet
* Let no self-contradiction escape our consenting condemnation.
Knock, Knock, Knock -- Who's ever there? -- What says
"TipToe over two Lily Pads on Wading Waters"?

I figure terrorists have some new kind of battle of feints...
if they can keep "opposition" busy with fake messages,
by flooding the monitoring system, and every so often
fake the feint: one feint that is not a feint but for real...
a feint within a feint makes a faint-hearted faint feigns.

I shall revise my short list of New Year Resolutions
(#1: Continue to write NewsPoetry as if none listen.
#1a: If no one complains, what are you doing wrong?
#1b: If anyone venerates, what are you doing right?)

But, this wonderful idea of the wholesale SuperVision
by an Agency of Government of all of my NewsPoetry!
Imagine that!  I can be assured of at least one reader,
even if it were some dumb program that jerks like me
write and are happy to slam together as acts of logic
proving that it is possible to tell a machine what to do
if you do not tell it unexpected impossible things to do
in language that is exotic, bizarre, strange, weird, odd,
idiomatic and idiosyncratic, personalized imperfection,
a possibility every being has of actually realizing self
when it looks in a mirror and says, "Hi, there, big ugly!
Why doncha come up to see me some time, big guy?"

If a regime of inspections will not work, as Bush claims
with respect to a much smaller country and its objects
of physical nature, mythic Weapons of Mass Destruction,
then why do rational beings believe a monitor program
has any chance of working to detect far smaller objects
essentially subjective, debatable, indeterminate things?

Reconstructively, then, the rational object of this program
is not supportive of any war against remote, alien terrorism
but works for a mass culture of suspicion and intimidation,
one in which a police state may work secretly its arrests,
where accusations by prosecutions condemns an accused,
where evidence becomes irrelevant because it compromises
the security of the country to have to reveal what we know,
so we no longer need to present any evidence, as such,
but only to have an official of the state stand up and say:
he's guilty of all the things that I say that he is guilty --

This is how Bush secured from a complacent Congress
a vote to wage unholy war against all so-called enemies,
both foreign and domestic, of a millennial administration:
man who rides on back of tiger destined to stomach trip.

Thanks for (blah, humble bugs!) listening,
(Hint: Knock-knock answers Tiny Tim:
"To decrease the surplussed of a population,
What?  Are there no prisons nor workhouses?")
<But, what do true Lily Pads do with Tiny Tim?
Well, there was this bumpkin, a so-called singer,
once who sang 'TipToe thru the Tulips with Me"
which I think is a secretive kind of act, tiptoeing,
not squashing flowers under foot -- and then, too,
Tiny Tim is a kind of star witness in a Xmas Carol,
and 'tis a season to be jolly on your yule joyride.>
Donald L Emerick