[Newspoetry] A NewsPoet quoted in wide-circulation

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Feb 8 11:02:31 CST 2002

I GO FOR SURE THINGS
John's enthusiasm for Hugo
Reminded me of a trite poem
I wrote for a local news home
A couple years or so ago.

The editor said, in disdain,
We print only letters, quite plain
In somber text, words fit to match
Reasoning to its 22-Catch.

(DICK'S) ARMEY MARCHING SONG
Are you all as rich as some ancient king?
The GOP tax bill's just your thing!
No more taxes upon your vast estate,
And smaller taxes for a cap gain rate.
Keep every penny of dollars you earn
So you will have lots of money to burn.
Would it be fair or just to tax the poor?
Who cares when you yourself have so much more!
CHORUS:
You can live in fancy palace of ease
When it's the GOP palms that you grease!

Poor people have little money to save
Though they work all day from cradle to grave.
Poor people have no Jags or fancy cars,
Nor dressy clothes to wear in sleek boudoirs.
Poor people have no quick three-martinis
For lunch or dinner, or in-betweenies!
How evil, then, it is to be so poor!
Let's put the taxes on that sin once more!
CHORUS.
You can live in fancy palace of ease
When it's the GOP palms that you grease!

Liberals rent their fancy limousines,
Reading their papers, books, and magazines.
All their studies and speeches matter not,
Because they must pay to sweeten our pot.
Money always talks in the loudest voice,
But its message is simple, so rejoice!
It begs you: "Gimme, gimme, koko pop,
Give me all your money until you drop."
CHORUS.
You can live in fancy palace of ease
When it's the GOP palms that you grease!

Shirking taxes is a rich man's past time,
Whoever pays first will pay one last time.
Dodging taxes is another hobby
For the rich and their well-heeled lobby.
What chance will you have for a taxing break
When they take to the bank your big mistake?
Throw out the surplus as well as the store,
Who cares, who cares that we tax the poor more?
CHORUS.
You can live in fancy palace of ease
When it's the GOP palms that you grease!

Thanks for listening,
Donald L. Emerick