[Newspoetry] Re: Random Walks in Gardens Fair and Green

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Mon Feb 11 14:18:41 CST 2002

War of the Gods
Once, there was a time when no God was on the world.
The world was chaos as it lacked any orders from God.
Then, one day, a God got lucky.  He came along, said,
"That looks messy, it lacks beauty, it lacks an order.
I shall do what is Good in my eyes to make of it a pattern.
I shall give form, make into my image, shape as I please."

And so it happened that innocent Nature reordered herself
To please this first lover, God.  Another God came, curious...
Indeed, many Gods came over and passed by this work of art
Deeming the art of work an odd novelty, original and glorious.
One day, another God said, "You know, that doesn't please me.
Your way, oh God, of doing things doesn't quite work for me."
So, began the long war of the Gods over the Nature of Beauty,
In back-droppings of scenes exploiting the Beauty of Nature.

Nature herself, mere Universe, knew hardly what to do.
She herself was supple, flexible, merely compliant chaos,
A being who could be Miss Invaginated for SuperNaturals.
So happened then Trojan wars and many others as well.
Gods fight from places of concealment, One contra Another.

Nature protests such furious desires: abuse, serial rapes,
Gang bangs of the Gods; forced marriages against her will.
Better a single husband, one God, than Harlot to many Gods.
In this illusory conclusion she may be sneakily deceived,
Into accepting eternal subjection to an order from one God.

Safety lies in projecting numbers, the more the better;
The politics of peace protection needs allies contra foes.
Penelope, then, needed no Ulysses to invade her home.
All her allies were also her foes, set against one another.
Ulysses' might made it right for him to rape Penelope,
To say it was her romantic will to consent to him
And to be ruled by none other than lawful Lord of all.

Presumptive God became Propertied, Landed, Titled.
"The Earth is all Mine and also all that therein dwell
There is no other God for this is my own private Hell,
Antidote for which affliction shall be Heaven's erection."
Gods died by the thousands, slaughtered ruthlessly,
By an aerial campaign from Sinaitic Olympus Mons.

Surviving Gods, predictably few, took refuge in caves
And hid from flares and glaring sights of search lights,
Barbed wires strung, fields of lands mined against them.
Concentration camps collected any resisting Gods,
Liquidating the many enemies of the one God of All,
Who knew no political re-education program ever wins,
In hearts of true equals, the minds of loyal subjects.

Where was Nature when this last Tyranny uncoiled?
Said God, "She recoiled into herself, saw herself ugly,
Withdrew in shame at her own beauty's humiliation.
You should fear her as she has her human nature,
Never quite recalling Good and Evil in many callings.
I am the Lord of Nature; I win all wars, installing me."

** Here I stop recording, because it ought to end,
** Sometime, Now is as good a day as any friend.
** Evil, then, is then evil which rolls many into one,
** Decimation culminates in thinking one is none.

Thanks for listening
Donald L Emerick