[Newspoetry] tshirt design

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Wed Feb 20 19:38:48 CST 2002

At 07:34 PM 02/20/2002 -0500, Chris Piuma wrote:

>As for the slogan -- the rhyming thing is a bit misleading, but none of the
other >slogans seem pithy enough. "All the feet that print the news"? A bit
obscure. "All the >news that's ready-to-wear"? "All the news that's
one-size-fits-all"?

>"Your daily dose of news in verse"? "News from the Muse"? "All the news
that fits the >Muse"?

>Bah. There's a reason I don't write copy for a living ;-)

I think "News from the Muse" is pretty good, actually....and plenty pithy.  :)

In our public i article about Newspoetry, we used "All the News That
Rhymes....Sometimes" as our headline. The addition of "Sometimes" was Darrin
Drda's idea.

> back:
>
>Maybe it should be the sans-serif font used on the front? Times (or
whatever font that is) looks a little cheezy at bigger point sizes.

I'm guessing (without ever once having looked at the t-shirt design on the
web) that Mr. Porter or Mr. Futrelle chose the Times Roman font because it's
the one commonly used in newspapers.

>Although, actually, I'd probably just leave the back blank. Though perhaps
that's just >me: I get a bit paranoid when I have writing on my back. It's
as if it were a "kick me" >sign. If people are reading my shirt, I want to
see it.

Newspoets should, almost by definition, be highly resistant to paranoia, it
seems to me.

>And, anyways, if they don't get an idea of what newspoetry.com is all about
from -- >jeez, from the URL! -- but from the front alone, then they'll be
all that much more >driven to go to the website. Leaving a bit of mystery to
it all seems like a good >thing.

Can't disagree here.  I ain't gonna buy a t-shirt anyway.

John