[Newspoetry] maybe not florida (fwd)

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 28 09:53:06 CST 2002

Assignment:

Write a poem by Al Gore
to appear in his anthology "Maybe not
Florida" (forthcoming: Spineless
Books)

Or write Al an email and copy
newspoetry on it

Go easy on the guy
I still haven't told him
I voted for Nader

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:43:20 -0800 (PST)
From: al gore <algore67 at yahoo.com>
To: william at wordwork.org
Subject: maybe not florida

Dear William,

On a recent retreat on the Carter ranch, I was
encouraged to explore my inner american spirit through
poetry.  Mr Carter shared a great deal with me that
weekend, and I found I had much to share also.

My poetry isn't overly stylized, it is rough.  It is
not too cautious, it is honest.  I am struggling to
seperate political reflection with political
positioning.  I have hidden my poetry from many, as I
don't want to turn my stanzas into stump speeches.

Past-president Carter told me to find a publisher,
maybe electronic.  I got on the internet (I know my
way around it pretty well) and I got to reading some
poems and stories, and found wordwork.org.  The
diversity of your projects is exciting, and timely!
The palindrome 2002. . . What can I say, I am in awe.
I believe you can help me.

I would like to send you some work soon, discuss the
possibility of a collection of america-centered poems.
 I have a couiple of working titles, my favorite of
which is "Maybe not Florida."

AG