[Newspoetry] Lex Talionis Bans

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed Jan 30 17:05:01 CST 2002

Lex Tali (on-us) Bans

Astride the world like Collosi of old
Stood towers commanding the city's view.
Against them rose some David's other sons
Throwing small pebbles as airplanes. So slew
They the Goliathian hero. All his tons
Fell like fragments from the Stardom of gold.

Embittered then were the Hitterites
Who saw thus their market prospecti fall
As gray litter, in dust and smoke and rain.
Resolved they then upon a Hitler's Rights
To restore mighty rule over ancient Gaul,
To make profits rise, proud and tall again.

Spoke they so in councils grim, to make war,
Sending thus forth their bitter warring hord.
Eye for an eye, life for a life, and more.
"Send Hell Fire down upon them, oh great Lord."
Thus was it spoken and thus came to pass
The end of foes, shattered like brittle glass.

In ivory tower, quite isolate,
I sit alone, brow beaten in wonder:
How boldly rode they death down from the sky?
I hold the trappings of modernity,
Vicious circles for regressing yonder,
Through existential redoubts, to reply
"There is never time to think or debate
What falls as duty for our liberty."

Abandon all faiths, ye who enter here --
We buy it all cheap and sell it quite dear.
And, in passing, let me make one thing clear
What happens over there also happens here.
Justice sacrifices blood shed on its knife:
Lie for lie, truth for truth, in strife for life.

Thanks for listening.
Donald L Emerick