[Newspoetry] poem

Anne Bargar babs at prairienet.org
Wed Jul 3 16:14:59 CDT 2002

hey george, i have a question.

its a two-parter, so i apologize if its a
little complicated.  we recently took a cross-country train trip from
illinois to california, and overall it was a great trip-the price was
right, we were comfortable, we didn't have to torture the poor aging ford
by dragging it across the desert, we contributed very little to global
warming, and mostly, we had a chance to see beautiful country that some in
our party had never seen before.  and you know what?  we felt safe the
whole time. we were late getting back, but the rest of the trip was so
nice we didn't mind that much.  so my question, george, is 1. has it
occurred to you that it is impossible to hijack a train and plunge it into
the 90th floor of a skyscraper and kill over 3,000 people, and 2. in light
of the above scenario, why don't you see that it makes a buttload of sense
to properly fund a cross-country passenger rail system?

just asking.