[Newspoetry] Maybe not Florida?

Scott Rettberg rettberg at enteract.com
Sat Mar 2 02:59:13 CST 2002

I am dying in a field in Tennessee south of Chattanooga near a mountain
while standing alone in a stand of pines. I am dying there I am dying in
Tennessee and wondering if I failed them or they failed me.

Bill's busy getting his dick sucked.

Maybe not.

A beard might be the right thing to do.

Global warming and ozone depletion they would vote they don't get it but
they would vote for me if I was drinking bourbon and strumming a banjo on
the porch.

I should have studied bluegrass.

My lord hang the ten commandments on the schoolhouse wall I think not.

We need our separations.

I have gone hunting.

Tipper and I are face the darkness.

Maybe I should get closer to him. What he did to me. I should stay away.

It is difficult to be witty. Very complex, that kind of aw shucks wittiness.

If I could bottle that.

Maybe not Florida. The machines are basically broken.

You wonder if you are in fact the leader.

You wonder if you are not in fact history.

It's getting warmer.

I have gone hunting, but fishing I enjoy.

We are bound by our dislike of,

We are bound by our distaste for,

We are bound by, no, we are never bound by our hatred of,

Stiff, awkward

Opposite

Malleable, smooth

Chads.

Chads.

It's getting warmer.

I'm being fed to the alligators.

I will grow the beard. Don't care how much it itches on the way.

His son now, I'm not stupid, I understand revenge.

I just don't think we need to live through it.

I will sit and read Lincoln's letters for a while.

I will be efficient.

I can't believe how many times he used the word "evil" in what might
resemble a sentence.

I will stop watching Nightline.

The stars here are not quite the same as they are in Tennessee.

One night, a very long time ago, in Chattanooga, my great-grandfather said
something to me, not to me, to my grandfather, well at any rate he said
something that has remained the center of my core. But you don't want to
hear about that.

I have gone hunting,

I will grow a fulsome beard,

Global warming will continue,

I will never again say I invented it

About anything. I never invented, that is

I will always be out of context,

Left to my own devices,

I prefer fishing.

It's just going to get warmer and warmer and warmer.