[Newspoetry] NYT prompts

Intermittent Fitz
Wed Mar 6 22:27:50 CST 2002

It was a dark day in hell.  The recently damned gathered on fiery sofas in
a flaming living room in Satan's realm. Abdul Alkalimat, former director of
Africana Studies at Toledo University in Ohio had only that day been
condemned to eternal damnation, after eating an ill-advised,
artery-stopping breakfast of chicken fried steak.  Nevertheless, he was
still in control of the mental prowess that made him feel so clever and
pleased with himself through all those years of faculty meetings. He turned
his keenly observant mind to the people sharing the room with him.  There
was a man, wearing a nametag, apparently an artifact from a recently
attended conference.  The name tag said: "Jason Bram, Federal Reserve Bank
of New York."

This put Abdul at ease.  On his other side there was a middle-aged woman
whom he recognized at Matilda Walzer, author of a recent bestselling book
about the history of political mistakes, and again Abdul felt a sense of
ease, feeling himself to be, even in hell, amongst his intellectual
peers.   "This collection [of the damned] is far and above the mother
lode," he said.

Jason Bram was less optimistic.  He saw the two humanities buffs around him
as an insult to his hard-nosed economic background.  He spoke slowly, but
with an authority not easily wielded by those outside of top financial
circles. "If you're going to have something revised up," he said, "that's
the one [group] you want [to have revised, given that you'll be spending
eternity in hell with them,]" he said.

Ms. Walzer broke in: "You see why we wrote the book," she said. "Otherwise
we'd explode," she said, looking askance at the steady walls of flame
surrounding them on all sides.  "I once spoke to a spokeswoman, from the
headquarters of a political alliance that I am not at liberty to divulge,"
she continued, her eyes darting nervously from side to side, "and, frankly,
that source was more than direct."

Abdul leaned over to Jason in a friendly, almost conspiratorial manner.  "I
remember this from her book," he said.  Jason looked at him and leaned
away, wondering what book he meant.

" I asked hard questions, I can tell you," Ms. Walzer continued.  "And I
got tough answers:  'No. The French did not tip off anyone,' that's what I
was told.  And by god, I believe it."  Ms. Walzer gulped, realizing the
futility of her reference to god, given her current situation, and opted to
end her conversation, close her eyes, and feel the heat of the flames
around her seeping into the skin of her face.

- I. Fitz