[Newspoetry] Fruit Medly

gillespi gillespi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat May 18 23:31:29 CDT 2002

NEWPOETS: Sascha, Jenny, Maiko, Bob, Bethany, Mike, some dude with
a Squirrel Nut Zippers Tshirt oh yeah his name was also Mike, & possibly
people I forgot sorry

ASSIGNMENT: Write the corresponding line for the one 3 back; then write
one more line for posterity's sake:

TITLE: Fruit Medley (MRE) Poetry

POEM:

When I was told to eat tofu and beef; collect each scandalous trading card
and enjoy it...

There wasn't a simple theme... at least not one that had evidenced itself...

Within the cinematic glow of the railroad crossing...

Nor was there a complicated theme... at the most not one that had eluded
itself...

Without the stereophonic void of the parallel runways...

Perhaps to DECODE the theme, yes, therein lies the fruit of the matter...

A veritable durian of sweet odiferous goodness of wordplay and
barbeque...

I saw my lover being thrown off a train...
A living hell... a train of excruciating pain...

Sweet, steaming, fragrant meat, dripping the nectar of life...
Talk of war machines and information processors...
The gristle of deception wedged between my teeth...
Generating both bile and saliva...

Drowning out the thin, tinny call of a nation's first squall....
East Timor, coming into life...