[Newspoetry] Dogaphor

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Mon Sep 2 00:16:44 CDT 2002

Dog people call it "fear agression",
I tell people "she's not good with other dogs"
meaning best turn tail and leave well enough alone.

I've seen her literally foam at the mouth,
more than once found myself carrying her back home
in my arms like a kicking baby warewolf.

You see, dog people explain, she's afraid
and so is trying to defend herself.

Afraid of, like, a dacshund half her size?

Apparently so. It's a habitual fear, borne
of puppyhood trauma. Easy enough to prove,
just pick up a large object and she flinches
as if, god forbid, someone hit her with one
at an impressionable age.

The strategy is simple. She assumes she will be threatened,
so she strikes pre-emptively with everything she has.
We all try every kind of reasoning with her:
soothing, stern, gentle, forceful,
always in vain.

Stupid dog, I remind myself,
she's just a stupid dog