[Newspoetry] A submission to Newspoetry

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Wed Sep 11 08:44:18 CDT 2002

The almost mandatory 9-11 entry

America, you have taken sorrow and made it spectacle.
You have made war in our names. You have called for regime change.
You have called for volunteers. Germany, why isn't your arm raised?
France, I always knew you would come around eventually.

The pResidnet hugging a worker in the flashback.
He promises that the evil doers will be given hell.
He promises that the dead will be avenged.
He speaks for the fatherless children and newly made widows.
When he calls for war. A war that has no goals.
A war to end "terror". A war to shake the doers of "evil".

The veils for the dead is large enough at 2801
Large enough to cover the loss of freedom
Large enough to blind us to scandal
Large enough to accomplish political goals
Large enough to plot the axis of evil

"Turn the middle-east into a parking lot"
Someone actually said that.
I suddenly feel lucky.
Lucky to be born here.
Where we turn ourselves into parking lots
voluntarily.

I protested the first Gulf War
Now our collective sorrow
is the coin for a new one,