[Newspoetry] stocks down amid inscrutable factors

Editor-Within-Chief futrelle at shout.net
Thu Sep 12 13:17:34 CDT 2002

New York (Associated Poets) --

Stocks were down over 1% in mid-day trading for absolutely no
reason.  There was no demonstrable correlation between the movement of the
major stock indicies and any known factors, including today's news or
recent economic data.

"The stock market is just fluctuating randomly," a leading analyst
explained.  "Will it go up from here or down?  I don't know.  Perhaps we
should roll dice," the analyst continued.

The stock market has been known to fluctuate randomly before, but any
suggestion that today's random fluctuation is part of a pattern was quickly
dismissed by leading economists.  "It's impossible to predict when the
market is going to fluctuate randomly, and when its fluctuations will be
based on confirmable factors," said Lee Ding, an economist at the Leading
Economic Institute in Leading, MA.

Investors are as concerned as they can be, given that there is no specific
reason to be especially concerned.

editor-within-chief
http://www.newspoetry.com/