[Newspoetry] Prohibiting Any Chance for Justice

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Apr 4 11:56:19 CST 2003

NewYorkTimes, 04-04-03
Grant Gun Industry Immunity From Suits
By JOHN TIERNEY
The House Judiciary Committee approved a bill
giving gun manufacturers and dealers immunity
against many suits, including ones already in court.

Gun Makers will not have to rely solely on their guns,
for protection!  What does the Public get in exchange
for legal immunity?  Absolutely nothing but screwed!

Soon, the GOP will pay-off many other political debts,
excusing from lawsuit every friendly corporate entity,
but preserving mutuality, allowing them to sue no one.
Ha!  They have no interest in that kind of fair mutuality.

A nice thing about this kind of theft from the People
is that they do not even realize they are being robbed,
until they are one of the few who would like to sue,
a thing that they think would never happen to them,
because they do feel as lucky as Eastwood punks.

Personally, I think it is a strange theory of law
to say Congress has any power to grant immunity
to alleged (civil) wrongdoers; Marbury v Madison
dipoled us this contrast of the kinds of power:
a regulatory power excludes a destructive power,
because if we had wanted to prohibit or ban it,
we would have said so in text in the first place:
regulation must thus be reasonable, not absurd.

Have we ever seen more corrupt Teapot Domes
than those that now spout off in Washington?

Thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick