[Newspoetry] Plant the next seed

CJC cc_poetry at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 19:13:25 CST 2003

Plant the next seed

To delude oneself that there exists one monolithic evil “other”

One must deny the evil within,

Forget the spirit they truly are

where they end

where they begin

To consciously choose to forsake their human sisters and brothers…

So who’s strongly opposed, who’s blindly agreeing and who’s consciously choosing

This war?

             Depleted uranium

    Grandparents crying

 Babies with cancer

        Whole families dying

Angers something deep within the Earth

Which awakens the Sky and enrages the Sun

With their powers to give and their powers to take

With their powers to return us to the soils of our birth

For a finite resource

       Is that all we’re worth?

I pity the Iraqis, and sometimes more

Those left behind to inherit the uninhabitable Earth

………….There are always those who believe genocide is necessary, even good

And though they rarely admit this in public

(and ignore when our "allies" do)

I certainly wish that they would

            But that isn’t me and that isn’t you

So what more is there left for us to say?

To persuade our leaders to lead with understanding,

to bring the troops home to their families,

to call the missiles in for a landing

Can we stop killing children and others for oil?

Can’t we pay for their resources and the fruit of their toil?

Will we ever end imperial wars,

racist “cleansings”,

unchecked greed?

Can we speak up for someone else’s child,

                        someone else’s mother,

        someone else’s earth

Because they are also our own,

      and they have the right

and they have the need?

   Can we please, please, please in some magic way,

bring unexpected days to a grateful Earth

Can we plant the next seed?