[Newspoetry] Just say no to genocide

Sedna sedna at myway.com
Tue Feb 18 14:01:35 CST 2003

AN AMERICAN CRUISE MISSILE HIT THE AMERIYA SHELTER IN IRAQ ON FEBRUARY 13, 1991 KILLING 1,500 PEOPLE, MANY CHILDREN. THE US GOVERNMENT CLAIMED IT WAS A MILITARY FACILITY. ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF "PINPOINT" BOMBING.
Will it come down to, once again, what it always seems to, one man’s ego for another? Go into exile, severed from power, weapons, armies, palaces, or else thousands of Iraqis will perish in an unprecedented, offensive, genocidal attack.
I overheard my friend’s 40 year old son sinking deep into cold war rhetoric, "it was the Russians who armed the Taliban [wrong], it was the Russians who gave Saddam Anthrax [wrong] we need to kill Saddam because he wants to kill us [wrong], all of those [wrong] dam Arabs [wrong] want to kill [wrong] all of us [wrong] and you know why? [yes] It’s all for Allah! [wrong] We need to get rid of [wrong] all of those Islamic Fundamentalists (like Saddam [wrong]), that’s what we’re going to do...".
I was surprised to hear that he and Saddam thought the same way, that executing Islamic Fundamentalists is the solution to their problems. I pointed out that if he wanted to rid the world of such fundamentalists he should not eliminate their archenemy. Of course archenemies become friends, true, if you give them no other option. He didn’t follow me that far into the realm of logical discourse.
Then counter protesters today screamed boldly into the radio microphones: "we’re going to kill those Arab bastards and take their oil, yes that is what this is about, you’re dam right, we need the oil, we are imperialists, survival of the fittest".
I get it now:
How can they dare to expect us to care
If they starve and die
Why ask us why
When they’re sitting on our oil fields?!
So "Ra ra ra, with all your might,
Face the facts, we’re born to fight
Nasty, cruel, brutish and always right
So bomb Iraq! Tomorrow Korea and Pakistan
Kill all those "Islamic fundamentalists like Saddam"!"
WRONG! JUST SAY NO TO GENOCIDE
Genetically modified organisms, airplanes, sanctions, suicide bombers, poisons in our air and water, the perpetual sacrifice of sons and daughters; all of these can be weapons of mass destruction, which pale in comparison to the nuclear weapons the Administration is prepared to use against non-nuclear powers.
Most of the nations of the world have airplanes and "vehicles" too!
What shall we do to rid them of these?
Bomb all these rouges and bring them to their knees?
Or, as an alternative, PUT AN END TO IMPERIALISM.
Any suggestions? - Sedna