[Newspoetry] Poem: "War of Words" by Vera Long.

vera long othadell at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 14:58:06 CST 2003

"War of Words"
Poem by Vera Long, copyright 1903.

We listened to their eloquent speeches
with voices smooth and cold.
They spoke about life of Americans
with war on the threshold.
Here are a few words to say about poets.
Poetry's an open field.
Poetry's not a money-making project.
It's a poet's heart and soul yield.

As a poet I try to put into words
the thoughts of silent tongues.
I wonder about ways to ease the pain,
protect the lame and young.
We must always battle for those caught up
in hunger and disease.
War's no answer to problems of the world
when on a quest for peace.

Another country's culture we can't change,
even one we detest.
We can offer them sympathy and hope
while wishing them the best.
Our world's not shrinking but spreading thin
in cruel and evil ways.
We're not GOD but if we follow HIS plan
we'll lengthen our own days.

A safe haven we can never promise
while evil rules the world.
But why should we, into harms way, send our
beloved boys and girls?
Won't you listen to America's heart?
Take time to feel it beat.
Words of truth are mighty swords. Hear the voice
of the man on the street.

Note:  The highest form of patriotism is loving your
country and guarding its welfare.   99% of Americans
are against waging a war while 1%, want and seek war.
Majority should rule.
        As a poet I believe it's my right and duty to
speak out for peace.  This poem is an open letter to
the 1% who want war.  If you share my views, you have
my permission and blessing to share this message,
"A War of Words", with your e-mail friends & families.
 Vera.