[Newspoetry] WWII internment camps

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 09:37:45 CST 2003

John,
Even American cictizens of German descent were interred. An old friend
of my family was interred with his family (he was a citizen by birth,
although his parents were still German citizens.) When the war was over,
they were deported back into the vast destruction of Germany, where he
(he was like 12 years old then) and his father were imprisoned for a
nearly a year in a prison that also held hard-core Nazi prisoners.

There was never any specific reason given for this, although he suspects
the fact that his father's trip to register with the German government
(after some Nazi decree that made it sound like unless he did, they
might never be able to return to visit family in Germany if he didn't)
at the German consulate in New York before the war in 1938 may have had
something to do with it.

The son was later able to make acquaintances with some people in US Army
inetlligence, who helped him reclaim his US citizenship. Eventually he
wrote a book about his experience.
Mike Lehman