[Newspoetry] Opinion - Forgiving - Exile

Jeroen Van Houtte jjeroen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 15:05:19 CST 2003

Dear Mr. President,

Do not attack! I share your concern about the abundance of hate and violence in
our world. You are undoubtedly the most powerful man at this time and the whole
nation looks to you to protect us against this evil. I'm thinking both of the
hate of Al-Quaeda for Americans as well as the hate of many people, American,
Iraqi and others for Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. One can already see
the vicious circle of hate, destruction, revenge, more destruction and more
hate in many areas of conflict like Palestine, the Balkans, and Northern
Ireland. If the USA attacks Iraq, this spiral of evil is only increased and
globalized.

It is clear to me that Saddam Hussein is not the kind of leader I would like
for my country. I also understand many Iraqis share this opinion and would like
to elect a different leader. Furthermore I see the hate which sprouts from the
carnage and devastation of war - censored or not. This leaves us, as leaders in
the international community, with the task of helping the common Iraqi escape
from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein, without plummeting into war. Consider that
either Iraq does have fearful weapons, in which case we run extra risk, or he
doesn't have the weapons, in which case the pretext for war is false. I see a
chance for a practical peaceful solution, which in my opinion should not be
ignored: Forgiveness. Christ taught us to pray: Forgive us our sins, for we
also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.
(Luke 11:4)

Forgiving is not easy. It doesn't satisfy our hunger for revenge and war, our
hunger to prove our might where might means right. But forgiveness is the only
way to short-circuit the spiral of hate. Christ told us to love our enemies
(Matt 5:44). What does it mean to love Saddam Hussein? Does it mean to attack
his country with all our might? capture him with our special forces? kill him?
put him in jail for the rest of his life? take the resources from Iraq for the
benefit of western companies in which I also hold stock? Does it mean to let
Saddam Hussein accrue more wealth on the backs of the Iraqi people and become
even more hated? Does it mean to offer him reconciliation in a way he cannot
turn down? Does the command to love and forgive mean that we should offer
Saddam Hussein exile in our beautiful country with the necessary safeguards to
protect him from the people who hate him and protect the world from any harm he
may still intend?

Mr. President, I ask you to leave revenge to God, and focus on the well-being
of the people, both Americans and foreigners. If God was able to work a miracle
in Saint Paul (Acts 9), how small our faith if we cannot believe he can work a
miracle in Saddam.

I know it is hard for a proud man to change his way. It is hard for a warlord
to surrender without fighting. It will be hard for Saddam to accept your
invitation into exile without first using any weapons he may have. I also have
faith in your diplomatic skills, Mr. President. You have been able of achieving
bipartisan solutions at all levels of government on issues where consensus was
previously unthinkable. I know you can make Mr. Hussein an offer he cannot
refuse. You know how to consider your opponent's position and come up with
solutions all parties can support.

Mr. President. Have you tried to imagine what will happen if our powerful
nation goes to war with a small nation which has not attacked us. I see many
pretexts for war, but no justification for all the evil consequences. Oh the
federal budget will go down the drain due to military expenses gobbling up all
the other departments budget. But more importantly, when we start invading
Iraq, we give our enemies a reason for revenge. we invite all our enemies to
use the weapons they may have accrued and start a third world war. This time it
will no longer be a war on foreign fronts. It will be a world war in the true
sense of the world. Everyone but the staunchest pacifist will choose sides,
both in the US and abroad. The war will be fought in the streets of every city
and town, from Jerusalem to Los Angeles, from Atlanta to Tokyo. The car-bombs
we now see on the evening news from faraway countries will be on our soil. The
missiles and weapons of mass destruction you expect to find in Iraq will show
up in every nook and cranny. This war will be a return to the dark age.

Before you let the next dispute on a UN weapons inspection blow up to a full
scale war, Mr. President, I urge you to love your enemies pray the Lord's
prayer.

Jeroen Van Houtte

=====
Jeroen Van Houtte