[Newspoetry] Bomb Iraq?

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Mon Jan 13 16:36:24 CST 2003

Bomb Iraq?
To the tune of "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya"

[Many of these lyrics are lifted from a previous Newspoetry submission,
entitled "If You're Happy and You Know it, Bomb Iraq," by John Robbins.
It's all part of what Pete Seeger calls the Newspoetry Process.]

If you can't seem to find Osama, bomb Iraq! Attack!
The public demands some drama: Bomb Iraq! Attack!
If your stocks are failing, somebody needs flailing,
So don't just give workers the sack--
You can send them as troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

Though the opposition's mounting, bomb Iraq! Attack!
Millions dead, but Hell, who's counting? Bomb Iraq! Attack!
For the gas we guzzle and freedoms we muzzle now
under the PATRIOT Act,
Let's send the troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

"Complicit in Nine-Eleven?..." Bomb Iraq! Attack!
"Send the Holy Jihad to heaven!" Bomb Iraq! Attack!
For might makes right.  They are brown and we're white,
And there soon will be no turning back
As we send the troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

We don't need a coalition!  Bomb Iraq! Attack!
We're Globo-Cop and we're on a mission: Bomb Iraq! Attack!
To hell with inspections.  Look tough for elections.
Let CNN pick up the slack
When we send the troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

As your corporate frauds are growing, bomb Iraq! Attack!
And your ties to the profits are showing, bomb Iraq! Attack!
If your dealings are sleazy, the cover-up.s easy:
The press corps will spare you the flak
When you send the troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

Fall in line, you, and follow orders: Bomb Iraq! Attack!
U.S. power now knows no borders. Bomb Iraq! Attack!
Dissent we'll call "treason,"  We all know the reason's
Petroleum, greasy and black,
As we send the troops all marching 'round the Persian Gulf.

		--Paul Kotheimer (and John Robbins)