[Newspoetry] Powell makes it unanimous

Newton Bigelow nbigelow at newtonbigelow.com
Mon Jan 27 11:40:52 CST 2003

Good Afternoon,

I'm writing today in a foul, black mood.  My country wants to got
to war, and at this point I see very little hope that it can be avoided.
Colin Powell's comments in Davos yesterday have extinguished any
hope I had that the Bush Administration might be dissuaded from seeking
a military solution in Iraq.  Whether he personally supports an invasion
or not, Powell clearly believes that his duty is to follow his President's
lead.  Though I hate saying it, it seems very likely that Bush will
announce the beginning of military strikes in his speech tomorrow.

Most of my friends and neighbors here in Madrid have been telling
me for months that this thing was inevitable.  Nobody has any illusions
about Bush's motives, either.  Mention the "War on terrorism" or
"freeing the Iraqis from the tyrannical rule of Saddam Hussein" and
people will laugh in your face.  This is the country where General
Franco lived a long, happy life as a fascist dictator, while the
rest of the Western World turned a blind eye.  People here tend to
be little suspicious when they're  told about the war between "good"
and "evil".

No, we know what this is about, and we have from the start.  It's
about controlling the oil supply.  The world is using up its oil
reserves at a staggering rate, and someday there just ain't gonna
be any left.  In the meantime, though, Bush and his masters in the
oil industry see Saddam Hussein sitting on the second-largest oilfield
in the world, and think, "that boy's got to go".  Oil is the largest
industry in the world, bar none.  Why wouldn't we fight a war for
it?  We've fought wars over bananas, for God's sake.

So, what do we do with this?  It's going to happen, despite the protests,
despite the marches and petitions. Despite the objections of nearly
everybody in the international community. Bombs and guns against
the very real flesh of Iraqi citizens who will be placed as a shield
between the Americans and Saddam Hussein. Dead children, again. The
tortured and the maimed, again.  The whole thing packaged as 'Reality
TV' with all the nasty bits edited out.

So what do we do?  For myself, I feel that the worst possible action
is to   quietly accept this obscenity.  I want it known that I do
not go along with this insane policy, and I will not support George
Bush in his criminal actions.  So I am going to continue to write
letters, to sign pettions, to go to marches, and to loudly and publicly
proclaim my opposition to this war.  We may not be able to stop it,
but we sure as hell don't have to endorse it.

What you do is a matter of personal choice, but I encourage anyone
who has not yet taken a stand against this war to do so loudly and
unswervingly.  Make it known that the President does not represent
your interests in this matter.

Do not let the bastards claim that they are doing this in our name.

Best regards,

Newton