[Newspoetry] [Peace] URGENT: Go on Record Supporting Urbana Anti-War ResolutionNow!! (fwd)

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed Jan 29 02:32:39 CST 2003

Although I am no proper resident of Urbana,
and thus unable, in a sense, to give an assent
to the propositions of the resolution, as formed,
or to the resolutions of the proposition, if actioned,
I would support it fully were I able to do so.

Why would anyone have any doubts on that?

However, in law, if you serve a wrongful party
with an errant notice, then your law suit fails
until you fix your own mistake in process.

We call this formal technicality due process,
though there may be more to this than procedure,
as a few say there is also substantive due process.

On technicalities may fail perfectly good complaints.
Blame no typing machines for any printing errors.

But, thanks, anyway, I had fun, for a moment,
thinking that my writing was at least as useful,
and (in my self-estimation) far more valuable,
pretextually, than the resolution itself,
with only momentary, accidental significance,
in your life, or Anne's or mine, which are,
in themselves, quite accidental and significant,
momentary as they may be.

(And, who knows this better than Anne --
for her poems, of Mr. Big, in particular,
I have long much envied, wishing I were she,
so that I could intake, from their swells,
even greater pleasure in her poems as author.
(at least she slices us her fine bred crumbs.))

Thanks for listening,
Donald L Emerick