[Newspoetry] newspoem "For the Love of Red Meat, White Noise, and Pabst Blue Ribbon"

Robert Porter bwp61 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 6 11:38:15 CDT 2003

I love it
But where is it?

Huge plastic flags fly over gas stations
Should I pledge allegiance to high octane?

The gorgeous fireworks are brought to you by Donald Rumsfeld
If you like the sparklers, you'll love the MOAB

That cool, weird eye-pyramid thing now belongs to TIA
If you stare into the eye, it will sure as hell stare back at you

The ink is fading on the Constitution
Recent changes have been scribbled in crayon

Liberty = Greed
Justice = Clout
Dissent = Treason

The Hot Dogs taste like rat feces
The Apple Pie stinks of urine
There are bloody swirls in the Ice Cream

All the American things I love are contaminated

"While conservatives tell you, leave things alone and no one will lose,
and liberals tell you, interfere a lot and no one will lose, baseball says:
  Someone will lose . . . So that baseball achieves the tragic vision that
democracy evades."

-- Richard Greenberg