[Newspoetry] The USA Needs Marvin Gaye

Charles Smith linndennyy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 14:25:47 CDT 2003

"SOS! SOS! The USA still needs Marvin Gaye!"
(a newspoem by Charles Smith)

We need Marvin Gaye now!
Marvin Gaye may be dead in reality,
But he is still alive in spirit.

Marvin Gaye was an activist,
And it shows in his songs, and he can sing with a smile or frown;
It brought in the 1960s and 1970s many a would-be anarchist--
And he was a singer who can act almost like James Brown.

Without Marvin Gaye, there would be.....
    No "Inner City Blues",
    No "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy",
    No "What's Going On".

Without Marvin Gaye, there would be
    No "Trouble Man",
    No "Joy",
    No "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".

STOP!!!!

But what about the outside world of right now? Not just the 1960s and
1970s.

Without Marvin Gaye, there would be
    No 9-11 attacks,
    No Patriot and Sedition Acts,
    No tighter restrictions on immigration,
    No excessive chauvinism by the United States in its newest fear
         of terrorism after 9-11.

Because of the new realities of this world,

We need Marvin Gaye now
To help the coalition troops get out of a post-war Iraq and save the
   U.S. a lot of money.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To help this very sluggish economy.

We need Marvin Gaye now
Because President Bush does not support the environment.

We need Marvin Gaye now
Since state colleges' budgets are ripped to the seams.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop another would-be Beltway sniper.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop another Enron.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop another Martha Stewart.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop the constant amounts of insolvencies in the airline industry.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop the constant dot-com failures.

We need Marvin Gaye now
To stop the thousands of pink slips in this new, relentless recession.

And finally, we need Marvin Gaye now
To stop a brand new national bankruptcy law which may pass, and
To keep affirmative action in effect,  and
To rescind the new FCC rules allowing less restrictions for media
   when it comes to mergers, and finally....

To extend the Civil Rights Act of 1964!!!!

I adore him very highly--that Marvin,
And even in death, I still have recordings
Of songs that make you do his famous shout called
"Ooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!"

And just take a look at yourself--all of you,
As I release a little parody of
The chorus to Don McLean's "American Pie",
Which goes just like this...

"O, Bye, bye o, that Marvin Gaye---
Did my dancing very funky but it wasn't my way,
And ol' James Brown would be so happy today,
Sayin'  "This would be the time to git down,
"This would be the time to git down." "