[Newspoetry] Goin' Guidance Lidavell--In the Wake of New Strike On Iraq

Charles Smith linndennyy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 02:00:26 CST 2003

THE TALE OF "GOIN' GUIDANCE LIDAVELL" IN THIS BRAND
NEW IRAQI WAR: A NARRATIVE POEM

            By Charles Joseph Smith
            (a.k.a. Lamar Jacobsen Linden)

High! This is Lamar Jacobsen Linden,
calling all people on land and all the ships at sea...
I am not Paul Harvey, but I am not so hidden
With this new war goin' on inside of me.

I feel just like
"A Goin Guidance Lidavell."
This guy, that's me, with this brand new Iraqi strike
Making me ring a bell.

I made up this name because
Of the protestors stopping this ongoing Iraqi war--
While at the same time, this odd-naming fuss
Would be a call-sign to a navy pilot who can soar.

That is, a navy pilot--and the others in the Gulf too
That can bomb Iraqi targets with their sorties;
The retro-hippies abhor it, and they feel blue,
For they think war is so wasteful as it is sporty.

Even Goin' Guidance Lidavell--ol, retro-hippie me,
Doesn't like the ongoing war.
All the bombing and killing is definitely not free,
For war's costs are the loss of life and lots of gore.

I felt so much joy
When I dreamt about
Joining the anti-war protestors, oh boy,
Who hate this "Showdown in the Gulf Part Deux"--
   no doubt!

Yea, "no doubt!",
Like that pop band who won some Grammy Awards.
I would have wanted that band in Iraq as human
    shields, and make a bout
Against the U.S. raining and slaughtering Iraq
    with missiles and bombs and bullets and swords.
I plan to do some drummin'
At one of the Blues jams at the Canopy Club.
Yet with this Iraq war a-strummin',
This could be a diversifying "dub-dub."

I played the piano and hence has a talent for a beat,
The one that could stop war in the Iraqi sand;
And with it the ugly sandstorms and oppressive heat,
Hence I wanted to play drums in a band.

But I want even more then this...
Eventually I like to do a drum solo at a house party
With all of the retro-hippies that I adore with bliss;
No guitars, bass, singers--just my 'drumming me!'

Just like those retro-hippie drum circles gone wild,
Drum music brings joy and happiness to all;
Therefore I want to play on a drum set just like a
   child;
Since drums are adored in hip protests, I want to make
   this musical call.

Drums would be my 'goin-guidance';
That is, the way hippies arouse romance
To the men and to the ladies, right to the core...
And Goin' Guidance Lidavell wants to let his lemony
   tea pour..
In a coffee shop that would make free love in the
    midst of this new war breaking out of the door...
And pray that this new war in Iraq--this stupid war...

IS NO MORE.

Charles Joseph Smith
linndennyy at yahoo.com
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/linndennyy

If you want to see the real me, look at the Daily
Illini's front page of Feb. 6. It seems to be more
beautiful then that of May 1, 2000. See it at:
http://www.dailyillini.com/feb03/feb03/news/stories/news_story05.shtml