[Newspoetry] Topical poetry

mary & tony newman newmanbb at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 28 12:36:17 CST 2003

Rat kills cat in river brawl

Villagers in India were stunned to witness a rat dragging a cat into the river before killing the feline.

Residents in Garbheswar village in Orissa's Kendrapada district say a large rat, which had made its home in a big hole in the riverbank near a temple, attacked the cat as it prowled nearby.

Witnesses say they saw the rat's head poking out of the burrow, but before the cat pounced, the rat attacked it.

The cat was injured in the tussle, which lasted several minutes, before being pulled into the water by the rat where the rodent continued to maul it.

The rat then pulled out the dead cat, dragging it into his riverside hole, reports the Hindustan Times.

Story filed: 13:13 Thursday 27th November 2003

I wanted to celebrate this heroic encounter in the epic struggle between fun-loving, cheese-nibbling forces of good, and fawning, bootlicking forces of evil.

Freshly extruded from my poetic orifice just yesterday evening - I offer this for consideration (beg pardon for the unfashionable rhyming meter, which, together with my disadvantaging tegument - for a poet, that is - and quaint morals and feeding habits, I was born with and grew up with):

    The Dauntless Rat of Orissa

I've heard of a fearsome riparian rat,

Who valiantly pounced on, and slaughtered, a cat.

In Garbheswar village in far-off Orissa -

They're one moggie down - and nobody to miss her.

Here for predator-prey there's reversal of roles,

Where teeth-slashing rats rush to fight, from their holes,

All you felines of India better beware,

Of a knight-errant rodent alert in his lair.

So Puss, when a-prowling, pray take special care,

With this Garbheswar riverbank cat-killer scare.

Tony