[Newspoetry] Re: Newspoetry Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

emerick at chorus.net emerick at chorus.net
Wed Apr 7 12:44:52 CDT 2004

From: Geoffrey Kurtz <kurtz at polisci.rutgers.edu>
Date: 2004/04/07 Wed AM 11:26:35 CDT
To: newspoetry at lists.groogroo.com
Subject: [Newspoetry] Re: Newspoetry Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Re: "novels"

I see the same usage with my students. My theory is that the distinction
between fiction and argument is lost on them, since both are things people
make up and are therefore all imaginary, all opinion, and all relative. One
argument is as meaningful as another, and the only way to choose among them is
to assert an arbitrary personal taste--and the same goes for fiction. That
form might matter, in either argument or fiction, is thus an alien concept.

So, a set of newspoetry assignments:

1. Compose a poem that has perfect form but is tasteless.
2. Compose a poem that has terrible form but is exquisitely tasteful.

GK

Newspoetry maillist  -  Newspoetry at lists.groogroo.com