[Newspoetry] End the Death Penalty Rally

emerick at chorus.net emerick at chorus.net
Wed May 19 17:46:18 CDT 2004

DateLine: Folsum Prison, 2007

Liberal opponents of the Death Penalty rallied again today, calling for
an end to the continuing inhumanity of the intentional infliction of
death by the State in the name of its the Death Penalty Provision.

The occasion of today's rally was the scheduled mass execution of
convicted war criminals George W Bush, formerly President of the United
States, Richard M Cheney, formerly Vice President of the United States,
Donald J Rumsfeld, formerly Secretary of Defense of the United States,
Alberto Gonzales, erstwhile nominal legal advisor to the President, and
a host of lesser figures who formulated and implemented the directives
for America's war crimes.

Sadly, most of the President's former backers failed to lend their
support to the legal appeals the ACLU, National Council of Churches,
the Papacy and many liberal organizations have made upon President
Kerry's office -- to pardon this sorry lot of malefactors.  President
Kerry has continued to say that the Presidency, according to the advice
of his own Department of Justice's (DoJ) Office of Legal Council (OLC),
has no constitutional power to pardon crimes against humanity.  "I'd
grant clemency, but such a pardon would only extend to violations of
the laws of the United States.  These war criminals have been duly
accused, arrested, tried and convicted, by International Courts of War
Crimes.  It is only my sad duty to see that the lawful sentences are
duly executed."

Death Penalty advocates nonetheless harbored hopes of a last minute
reprieve, a stay of execution.  But, when the lights dimmed today, all
the world knew, once again, that America had rejoined the international
community, purged of its loathsome war criminals.

Standing with his head bowed, outside Folsom, as word of the execution
came, confirming the demise of these infamous war criminals, was Colin
Powell, former Secrtary of State of the United States.  He seemed sad,
withdrawn, forlorn.  His only remark to the Press, before departing the
scene, was "I tried to warn them, but they would not listen -- No, they
would not listen, at all.  So, I'm here to say, bye, bye, Mr. American
Pies..."