[Newspoetry] Night-Lines in Gag-a Land

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Nov 5 11:15:35 CST 2004

Confident Bush Outlines Ambitious Plan for 2nd Term
By RICHARD W. STEVENSON ---  NYT -- 04.11.05
President Bush said he would begin work immediately on his proposal to overhaul Social Security.

Night-Lines in Gag-a Land

After the election,
most of Bush's cabinet,
like rats fleeing a sinking ship,
announced their long planned retirements,
and the lame-brained Congress is called (back),
to fix a small problem in the US credit card:
how about my raising my debt limit to $7.4T,
because I sure could use the extra $700B now,
because I spent all the money you last sent,
and war costs don't grow on trees, you know.

Yes, yes, send me money; send it post haste.

I promised to "reform" retirement plans,
and will need another $2T to do that,
and I promised to make horrendous tax cuts,
extending old ones and making some new,
so you'd better add another trillion or two.

Did I promise anyone else anything more,
oh, yes, there's that pesky terror war,
such as my promise to free Cuba by '08,
to invade Iran and Syria by that date,
and maybe nuke it out on a peninsulate,