[Newspoetry] Found newspoem

Robert Porter bwp61 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 9 21:00:10 CST 2004

November 9, 2004

Dear Mr. President:

Nothing in my life compares to the high honor of serving America as
Attorney General in your administration.

The cause of justice is indeed a serious calling. Americans have been
spared the violence and savagery of terrorist attack on our soil since
September 11, 2001.

During the last four years our violent crime rate has plunged to a
30-year low. Under your "Project Safe Neighborhoods" the number of gun
crimes has fallen to its lowest level in modern history. Drug use among
America's young people has fallen and continues to fall significantly.

Corporate integrity has been restored with the work of your Corporate
Fraud Task Force. As a result United States markets have reinforced
their position as the trusted allocators of the world's capital
resources.

Thank you for your leadership which has made these and many other
justice-related achievements possible.

The demands of justice are both rewarding and depleting. I take great
personal satisfaction in the record which has been developed. The
objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has
been achieved. The rule of law has been strengthened and upheld in the
courts. Yet, I believe that the Department of Justice would be well
served by new leadership and fresh inspiration. I believe that my
energies and talents should be directed toward other challenging
horizons.

Therefore, I humbly state my desire to resign from the office of United
States Attorney General.

It would be my pleasure to structure the announcement of this
resignation and the ensuing transition in conjunction with you so that
your administration and the cause of justice are served optimally.

I have handwritten this letter so its confidentiality can be maintained
until the appropriate arrangements mentioned above can be made.

I am grateful to you for the profound honor of serving under your
clear, principled leadership.

May God continue to bless, guide, and direct you and your family as you
lead America forward in freedom.

Most Sincerely,

John Ashcroft