[Newspoetry] October 8, 2004 -- Derrida is dead... Make a note of that...

emerick at chorus.net emerick at chorus.net
Mon Oct 11 15:32:30 CDT 2004

Derrida is dead.  Oh, yes, his critics have been saying just this for
years -- and, finally, so they fervently wish to (have us) believe,
they are now so certainly right -- right today, right tomorrow -- and,
by force of logical implication, if so, then why not right before,
right yesterday, right as rain?   Right, according to the mythology of
right -- and, hey, I don't make up myths, I just name them when I come
to them, so stop blaming me, always already, for what I have but named
when I found it -- is never circumstantial -- it is not inscribed by
certain contexts circumscribing any possibility into some actuality --
like buzzards flying overhead, circling a dying body, down there on the
surface, unable any longer to shift its position against the all-
enveloping horizon.  Right would be, so its mocking myth must ever
misty-eyed say, an absolute actuality -- eternal, unchanging,
unaffected == a discoverable, knowable truth, above existence itself,
an ultra-existence; uber-suffering -- neither beginning in the birth pains of origin, nor ending
in the death throws of dead-reckoning's certainty, the cessation that
reduces everything to ground, ashes, dust.

Between such marks, at least one of which no living man could claim to
know, between the marks of creation and destruction, there -- just
exactly, impossibly, there -- would be an existence, in the continuity
of the cusp of originality, the ever-flowering moment of origin-
natality.  The tracing of time by existence has always yet to leave its
signatory traces by signatures completing itself -- to avow what is not
in the as-if of a promise that then conditions itself by a pledge to be
no more than just so, to be just -- by fidelity to an intentioned self
shall come certainty, never of the world itself but of the I who
inhabits the world that I create for me.  Intension grandly equates its
presumption of sameness, its prejudice against difference, to
rightness.  "Derrida is dead" would mean his own primary work is dead,
the quotations can now be enumerated definitively, the citations
offered us as homily can now rest assured, their fear of contradiction
now may leave this plea!
 ce of fear and its tremblings.  Here, ever after, so they firmly say,
there can come but the work of the scarabs, the grave diggers and the
accent markers -- all secondary work is now to be located against the
fixed pile, the heap or the archive, as to how matters stand, in the
eternal fidelity of the living to the dead, the here after of those who
are here after us, hear after, hear laughter in the works he did not
scribe and to which he may not subscribe, just as he may never
subscribe to such differences in writings to the margins of
philosophy.

Derrida is dead.  If I had a simple view of the pleasure that I could
find in such a moment, I would say that I have now the possibility of
success in my Derridean studies, to be definitive, to know all that
there is to know of this man, his writing of life, his life of writing,
because he is no longer there, no longer writing, as if he meant only
to torment and tease me for not having had the thoughts that he had and
that I never would have.  The Other can never be captured, enclosed,
buried alive -- restricted to being itself, for it could never have
been just that, no matter how far the illusions of some representation
run, no matter how shrilly newspoetry sings its bright lays of words,
no matter how silly philosophy psychodramatizes its dark plays on
words.