[Newspoetry] "are these the sweet sounds that call the young sailors"

William Gillespie william_gillespie at brown.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:00:28 CDT 2004

This line from Rainbow Connection sounds like something Jean Genet
might have written. I'm starting to think Kermit the Frog's love for
Miss Piggy was platonic. "It's not easy being green." Hm. Or perhaps
the sympathetic Kermit recognized that in order for Miss Piggy to be
happy, her ego required that she get that kind of romantic attention,
the sort that leads to soft-focus duets, and Kermit thought it was
better that she get the attention from him, rather than from... a male
pig.

These are the things that distract me from thinking about the election
today.

But think about Kermit in his reporter duds, the rakish cap, the
trenchcoat, the tie, all overcompensating for an ambiguous gender and
species preference, newspoet.