[Newspoetry] per se unreasonable: Parental Notification laws

DL Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Fri Dec 2 07:18:14 CST 2005

Laws without exceptions oppose reason; they lack mercy, defy wisdom, and even deny justice.

The Journal asks readers whether or not an 18 year old girl who desires an abortion ought to inform her parents of that desire.  The Journal question hints of no exceptions and thus fails to probe wisely into public opinion.  The business of wisdom is always a matter of making proper distinctions.

In the case of this question, the distinction to be made is between fit and unfit parents.  Juridically, let us define an unfit parent as one who is grossly negligent or callously indifferent toward the well being of children in their care.  An unfit parent may be incestuous.  More often, an unfit parent is physically, mentally, verbally or spiritually abusive of a child.  Such parents neglect to love and care well for their children.  The children of unfit parents show them no honor, for they deserve none.  Those children fear, despise and hate their unfit parents.

The daughters of fit parents, we may presume, will always come around to talking with their parents about all major decisions.  We need no law for the many.  However, shall the law require daughters of unfit parents to notify those unfit parents?  Such a law aids and abets the evil ways of unfit parents.  Why should the law help unfit parents?

It is said that the merciful are blessed and those without mercy are cursed, for whatever you do to the least of persons shall be done unto you, good for good, evil for evil.  Let us hope we make our laws full of mercy, full of exceptions – and not a merciless cruelty.