[Newspoetry] Bush Aides Say Budget Deficit Will Rise Again

Donald L Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Wed Jan 26 13:09:02 CST 2005

Bush Aides Say Budget Deficit Will Rise Again
By EDMUND L. ANDREWS Published: January 26, 2005 in the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/politics/26deficit.html?oref=login&th

{In the course of a story on Bush’s latest and greatest deficit proposal – a proposal, by the way, that breaks Bush’s promise to cut the deficit in half (why am I not surprised?), the writer remarks:}.
 About $5 billion of the $80 billion would be used on programs like financial aid to Palestinians as they try to build a democratic government and a heavily fortified embassy in Iraq for the State Department.
. {Thus is inspired the following:}

No-peace forecast is cast away in stone.

Building democratic institutions,
Laying one carved stone atop of the last,
Laying them one at a time, hewn together,
Block by block the enclosing place rises up,
Forming a concealing shelter to view.

The parasite’s pyramid of power
Hungers for high places over us others,
>From up there we are as ants far below,
Scurrying about, functional servants,
Crawling unseen between significAnts.

Building a new fortified Embassy
Tells the world that there will be not be peace,
Not down in the streets of Baggy Daddy,
Not down town and so nowhere else either,
Not in the Middle East will we find peace.