[Newspoetry] The first thought of man was God.. maybe, God-fearing....

DL Emerick emerick at chorus.net
Tue May 24 14:54:30 CDT 2005

http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com/

"It's interesting that this 'interview' talks of people by their relationships but shows beautiful scenes of nature"

When we think of God, our first thought of such an entity always lacks a human face.  We think, instead, of what that entity does, by thinking of its grestest deeds and its grandest effects.  Nature itself is God's work, but then we become mindful of the entity, and we then look to the face, to confront the other, tete a tete.  To engage the other is to face that other.  Levinas himself might have said that.

The personal is inscrutable, inexplicable -- its glory exceeds even the beauty of nature as the realm of the untamed, the land that is not to be conquered by man, and yet is to offer him a dwelling place, a place in which to be -- this dwelling is ever a separation, from all the rest of life, and all its frantic ways.  A dwelling is a resistance against all that is outside and has no dwelling.

I shall dwell with God, as He shall dwell with me.

The often pleasing nature of thinking of God is an old human reaction... dating to the dawn of consciousness...

The thought of God may have been the first thought
that man, as a species, ever have had.  God was sensed to be there, and that was the first thought of man.

Oh, I know that Wang, in his commentary on the Life of Godel, says that he does not understand why Godel was so enamored of this question, of how to establish a logic of God, from which all other propositions must derive.  Wang says, "Oh, see, I was raised by the communists of china and we never saw the need to learn of God, to speak of God.  My thought in no way depends upon God."

Nonetheless, Wang spent his life in pursuit of logic, and wrote many books and papers upon Godel.  It is curious.

One thing Wang really does not discuss -- not does Godel -- is the more immediate and omnipresent concerns of the ever living flesh!  The second thought of man had to be {no, it was not about the question of what's for dinner, guys!} but, how about some sex, my dear Eve -- now that I can see your nakedness is actually a nudity -- a state of being that has a purposeful relationship to sexuality.

Yes, sex is an after-thought, an event subsequent to a thought of God.  Sex lays out an opposition to God: an opposition that God intended, when he made man and woman in God's own image.  Neither male nor female has the complete form of God.  We catch something of the sense of this when we gaze upon some figures from Indian mythology, Shiva or Ganesh, for instance -- of the many arms, the entwined forms of two beings, who become one, who be
come God, but only when united and coupled.

The first thought was not about Sex of food, but it was about God...  Sex was always there, ready to be had, but God was the first great discovery of consciousness...

Man created language, as the form of his consciousness, in to talk about God over and above every other desire that his flesh mioght experience -- for food and sex.

The name of God -- the word of God -- points to death, to our mortality, to our certain awareness that we are not eternal...  It is the mythology of the surplus, the supplement, the haunting spirits -- of which Derrida speaks so eloquently, from time to time, but nowhere more elegantly than in his text on The Spectres of Marx.

This haunting of the world by the Spirit of God was first forecast by Levinas, in Totality and Infinity where he speaks of the ratio of the overflow.  Let there be a container made, into which we shall put the concepts of God.  Behold, no matter how large, the container always overflows.  This is a statement that the order of finities (or infinities) of thinking and of God, as a thinking, have no one-to-one reproductive relationship.  It is, as Cantor said, a proof of the transfinite orders of number, of numbers beyond the order set by the primitive sequences of our countings.

It is God, of course, whose face is the numinous shining forth in all perceptions of beauty.  It is God who infuses sex with love, who inspires every romance of and with life.

Is any of this news?  Is it, at least, suggestive, of poetry?  or is it, instead, what makes news be of value to us, what poetry sings?  I have no need for news, except insofar as I have dealings with the world.  But, when I come to God, there is never any news, no gospel to be told, but there is no good news -- there is simply the same old good story, the old one I tell her, of God and man, of sex and the sea, of the foods that we immortals feed upon that we may live forever.