[Newspoetry] Idaho time zones

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Fri May 26 14:10:21 CDT 2006

Natural Competition: Divisions of Waters

Down in dark waters, deep in their pool,

Swim big fish who rule open mouth slaughters.

Small fish dare compete with them for food,

For swimming space - crude is their elite.

I stand upon shore for cruise by boat -

To upset nature's rote: catch big fish more,

And toss back small fries - change its balance;

Struggles will enhance my trophy prize.

My brother throws back fish he hauls in,

Speaks of his chagrin, of waters black,

Deep down in dark holes: "Upset orders?

Nature by borders shows us its goals."

I shrug - yank my line as I am hit ---

A fish, fooled, bit my bait to dine

First on a free lunch, never so free,

Of sharp hook from me, fishing by hunch.

As I reel to net my prize big fish,

I almost could wish we might forget

When fish stop bouncing, our pleasures cease;

I could catch/release, quit fish trouncing.

I shrug, break in smile: "Call it a day;

Let's eat what we may; fishing's worthwhile!"