[Newspoetry] Sober Sheehan on Hilarious Clinton?

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Mon Jan 22 15:31:36 CST 2007

Sober Sheehan on Hilarious Clinton?

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012207A.shtml

What does Sheehan expect?  Russ Feingold?  Well, perhaps, perhaps.

Russ, to me, is like Gene McCarthy was -
almost absolutely and almost always right -
judging a thing, not by its popularity,
as to when it is fashionable
to state that one favors some idea,
to labor against the safety of follies.

So, I campaigned in places like New Hampshire,
Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut,
Way back in the spring of 1968 -
Knowing full well that McCarthy couldn't win,
But that he could help the less brave find their voice,
Guys who might have written books
Like Just Friends and Brave Enemies
(http://www.amazon.com/convince-world-friends-brave-enemies/dp/B00005X543)
Who needed to realize that only friends are brave,
Because an enemy is brazen and never just,
And that friends have to be more than just friends:
They must have passion to care for one another.

And, too, they must distinguish two qualities:
They must see that an ENEMY can be defeated,
But that a NEMESIS may not be overcome,
Only opposed, with all one's heart, soul and mind.

Why is this so?  Because an enemy is so -
An enemy is an instantiation, so we think,
Of the nemesis, localized and personalized,
Limited and defined, reified and made by us -
We make our enemies out of the nemesis,
Idolizing the nemesis in an enfleshed image,
One onto one of all that we detest and deplore
And desire to oppose most vehemently,
As all that is in us, in our own darker sides.

A Nemesis is ever a twin, an anti-God,
The counterpart of what we worship,
Per the practice of the Laws of Form,
As George Brown announced, formally.

A nemesis is the rival of God -
A thought co-incident with the very idea of God,
Ideal, perfect, beyond-bounded existence.
Of mortal and brief and ever fallible life.

Such thoughts are inescapable,
As long as one persists in dialectics,
In a system of oppositional concepts,
Each resting against and upon the other.

There is, though, always a possible synthesis,
A route of escape from some conflict,
An opening in the gates barbarians storm,
Those gates defined by pillars of love and hate,
Poles that so perfectly mirror each other.

Can one construct a synthesis,
Can one construct a new society,
Along some other harmony,
To find a peace with one's neighbor,
However odd he may be -
For he never need be an enemy,
If he can see in us both bravery and justice,
As we would see the same in him,
And thus live boldly, lion and lamb together,
Not caring which is which, as it matters not!

Now, Sheehan, Hilary is no enemy,
Ambitious and cautious as she may be -
She can be our friend, perhaps even brave and just -
And you, Sheehan, need to make it be so, too.