[Newspoetry] We stood, out -- protesting the oxymoronically named "School of the Americas"

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Thu May 3 14:33:34 CDT 2007

We stood for awhile out against the crowd.

The way fresh snow covers the begrimed of days ago,

Before itself becoming embedded in guilt.

We stood, out against the crowd,

As if they didn't belong where they were and we did.

The way all iconoclasts do, lone islands in lost seas.

We stood out, against the crowd,

To emphasize all that we had in common,

As samples of a multitude's infinite diversity.

We stood for nothing in the crowd, cold and shivering,

When we could have been cozy and warm by the fireside,

Sharing our species' way of loving its own speciousness.