[Newspoetry] BUSHNCHENEY

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Fri May 4 22:29:53 CDT 2007

I write, almost daily now,
Like a morning prayer, well said,
Letters petitioning elected officials,
Stop the slaughters of wolves,
Stop the slaughters of horses,
Stop the slaughters of seals,
Stop the slaughters of bears,
Of all the animals upon this earth,
And most of all, dear leaders,
Stop the slaughters of people.

This daily prayer is unread,
Or, if read, ignored.
Constantly, I hear nothing back --
Of the end of some of the external diseconomies
Of the pilfering and the plundering of a planet
By the pirates of private finance,
On a global scale, unprecedented and accelerated,
As if there were to be no tomorrow,
A fateful self-fulfilling prophecy.

I write daily petitions, nonetheless,
And I call for a clean-up action,
No longer urging merely a change in policy,
But in the policy makers, themselves.
Impeach them, I moan, impeach and convict
This gang of criminals that feeds on death,
That feeds upon the blood of the living earth.

My God, My God, what has come to us,
That we should have fallen to the ways of such evil men,
Evil by design, if the universe is designed,
Or merely consigned to us, for a time,
As an object lesson in the nature of evil,
That it cause such unnaturalness,
As death to an entire world,
All of its major species, many of its minor ones,
And even cause death to fall on you and me.