[Newspoetry] It's not just for Halloween... Why Clinton oughttobe stopped...

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Fri Oct 19 16:21:09 CDT 2007

THE POLITICS OF DISTRACTION ---
Against this Disease of the Will,
Or to further its progression in me,
I have been reading (yet another) text...
Nothing new there, is there?
I read and then I repeat,
Regurgitate some say,
Sheer vomit and drivel,
Digestive juices, perhaps,
Though I'd like to think I do more than that,
Perhaps even anally excrete ideas,
In "divine shit" per text below.

I am reading Zizek, THE PARALLAX VIEW,
An extensive commentary upon,
So I might claim, at least,
THE POLITICS OF PRESCRIPTION,
By Alain Badiou, recently
As set forth in BEING AND EVENT.

I am not a man of action,
it is true (Sadly? Do I regret it?)...
I've never been into Militancy,
Nor into committed action for a cause.
I've always been a kibitzer at bridge,
Standing on the sidelines,
On no side but the outside,
Looking at all the hands,
At the backs of heads,
Knowing everything there is to know --
In short, a kind of cowardly cheater:
Good Germans avert eyes from Holocausts.

I am growing older,
My hair grays, my teeth ache, my belly sags, my skin wrinkles and yellows.
I always was dying, and ignoring that fact,
But now I think of this life slipping past me,
Faster and faster day by day,
How little the world of today matches my dreams,
And why it has had to be that way.

Perhaps, in wisdom, perhaps in sheer foolishness,
I think to myself, now, and never too late I hope,
It was militant that you needed and need to be,
Not the Compromised Man, who was only a settlement,
A sediment of flows, laid down like a Mississippi sandbar,
And as easily washed away in the next flooding storm.

Do not go gently toward a good day,
but yet fearlessly go, out from the caves of night,
up from the slavery of ordinary death, arise.

I'm thinking on such lines as these, seeking me.